National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
Goddard Space Flight Center, Maryland, USA
KBR is a leading provider of engineering services for ground systems and mission operations support for NASA space-based missions and projects at the Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) in Greenbelt, Maryland.
Under the Ground Systems and Mission Operations-3 (GSMO-3) contract, KBR performs mission operations in support of GSFC's on-orbit spacecraft, including IT and systems engineering, as well as design, implementation, integration and testing of ground systems and operations products for NASA’s key projects:
- Earth Observing System
- Earth Observing System Data and Operations System
- Magnetospheric Multi-Scale mission
- Global Precipitation Measurement mission
- Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter
- James Webb Space Telescope (JWST)
- Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope
- Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellites
- Nancy Grace Roman Space Telescope
- Solar Dynamics Observatory
- Managing 24/7 real-time requirements to securely operate and maintain orbiting Earth spacecrafts and associated ground systems.
- Control operational spacecraft while performing mission data collection and processing; orbit and altitude estimation; maneuver planning; mission services integration; systems engineering; and mission communication support for GSFC and its stakeholders.
- Design, develop, test, and implement the ground systems needed to operate GSFC’s next fleet of robotic spacecraft.
- Delivering multimedia production services in support of the GSFC Office of Communications, including live televised coverage of Antares and Cygnus launches to the ISS.
- Developed and deployed Goddard Space Flight Center’s Virtualized Multi-Mission Operations Center (vMMOC) for on-orbit missions, providing normalization and standardization of IT services, mission operations, maintenance, and development.
- Designed and developed Navigation as a Service (NaaS), a unique software system used to perform orbit determination analysis and maneuver planning functions.
- Perform environmental and integration testing for Roman Space Telescope and PACE flight components.