Track renewals and railroad switch replacements for the Greater Sydney Metropolitan network
- The Trackwork Services Alliance (TSA) undertook a program of track renewals and railroad switch (turnout) replacements on Sydney Trains’ vast Greater Sydney Metropolitan network.
- As an alliance member, KBR undertook design management, engineering design and construction support services for the program.
- The KBR team delivered 143 multidisciplinary design projects and several capital works programs. KBR’s scope included track, earthworks, overhead wiring, structures, electrical, telecommunications, environmental and drainage design.
- Upon completion, TSA had accelerated Sydney Trains’ turnout renewal program and produced a 12-month design legacy for their construction program.
- The project involved a complete, turnkey approach to the scoping, planning, design, procurement, fabrication, assembly, installation and commissioning of turnouts and associated rail infrastructure
- The replacement solutions considered improved track geometry to reduce wear and maintenance and increase track speed and included signaling, overhead wiring, structural and drainage components
- During the later stages of the program, TSA was approached by Sydney Trains to help identify and deliver larger capital works projects.
- One of the many design challenges included limited access to the rail corridor to gather design information. By using 3D scanning and modeling, KBR minimized the need for multiple site visits to capture information and accelerated the design program.
- TSA’s program of work created an ideal training ground for graduates and apprentices, helping to ameliorate the industry-wide shortage of skilled railway engineers.