A trusted, reliable adviser for the largest vessels ever constructed for the Australian Defence Force
- KBR provides the CSC services for the CANBERRA-Class Landing Helicopter Dock ships. The LHD ships are the largest vessels ever constructed for the Australian Defence Force, and are operated by the Royal Australian Navy.
- The two CANBERRA-class LHDs, HMAS CANBERRA and HMAS ADELAIDE, can each transport over 1,000 troops, 100 armored vehicles and 12 rotary-wing aircraft.
- The CSC team provides sustainment services, including configuration management, data management, maintenance monitoring, engineering, and supply support services, all within an asset management framework to meet the technical integrity, seaworthiness, and mission-preparedness of the LHD ships.
- The LHD CDC is embedded in the LHDSPO to provide oversight and management of the introduction into service of the LHD capability. The success of the approach is based on delivery of the commitment to consistently provide excellence in the essential role of trusted adviser. In this capacity, KBR delivers unbiased, reliable and timely advice, combined with commercial independence and technical excellence.
- A strong risk-management methodology is another essential component of success for the LHD enterprise. The Enterprise Risk Manager has actively facilitated risk-awareness through workshops and discussions within the LHDSPO and across the enterprise, and by collating the total in-service support contract (TISSC) and lifecycle cost-in-service support contract (LLC ISSC) risk registers.
- As the CSC, KBR is designing and managing the LHD sustainment program in accordance with the principles described in ISO 55001 Asset Management. The KBR team’s core role is to ensure technical integrity is maintained throughout the LHD life-of-type, while continually optimizing the total cost of ownership. In order to achieve this, KBR is providing the LHDSPO with a team of 50 staff with expertise across the following domains:
- Asset management
- Risk management and modelling
- Data management, assurance and modelling
- Lifecycle cost analysis and modelling
- Technical quality assurance
- Logistic support analysis and reliability engineering
- Various engineering domains, including marine, mechanical, electrical, electronic and mechatronic.
- With less than a year passed since the contract started, the CSC recently successfully transitioned from Transition Period 1 (Phase In) to Transition Period 2. The purpose of the transition periods is the establishment of systems, processes, people and data to support the Steady State phase.
- KBR has a strong track record of planning and delivering services with a certainty of work product effort estimates. Cost estimates are developed using a valid and defensible methodology based on the SPO’s work breakdown structure (WBS) and key schedule milestones. Consequently, to date, all management and tasked services have performed within their contracted cost limits and achievement of a 100% performance payment score.